Search This Blog

Monday, May 31, 2010

Wiring money back to the US

ESL Teachers: I sent money back to the US today. This was my first time wiring money. It took a while for the bank to get me set up but overall the process was easy. My bank account is with NongHyup. I took my US checkbook and passport with me and that included all the of the information that I needed. The form to wire money basically just asked for my bank routing number, my bank account, my full name, and my passport number.

There was a manager at the bank (his ID tag said Kim, J. H.) who spoke English rather well. He explained that they had to send the information up to their bank headquarters for approval. This process took about 20 minutes. He did note that this was for the initial set up and that it would be a quicker process in the future. I sent back 3,500,000 Won. The exchange rate on my receipt is 1,210.60 Won to the Dollar so that netted me $2,888.74. The fee for transferring was 15,000 Won (7,500 for remittance charge and 8,000 for the cable charge).

This branch of the bank also where you can go to exchange Won for US dollars. Just remember to bring your passport.

No comments:

Post a Comment