Search This Blog

Thursday, May 6, 2010

My new air conditioner arrived today

The Korean summer is rather hot and humid, at least that's what I have been told. Unfortunately, most of the apartments provided to western teachers do not come with air conditioning. I asked the teacher liaison at the county office but the said it was their policy not to provide air conditioning. The relative humidity is already up around 80% so I opted to buy my own unit.

The units are rated for the amount of space they cover. The smallest units cover 18.7 square meters. The next size up is 26 square meters and then 32 square meters. There are much larger units that will handle a whole house. I opted for the 26 square meter size. It's not large enough for my entire apartment, but I will make it work.

The unit cost 550,000 Won which included taxes and installation. The LG store sent two guys and the installation took less than 45 minutes. One the day I purchased the unit the exchange rate was 0.000900901 Won to the US Dollar. That means it cost me $495.50. It wasn't fun to hand the money over, but at least I know that I'll be able to sleep comfortably through the summer humidity.


The view from outside.



A close-up of the outside unit.



The inside unit that is mounted on the living room wall.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, A/Cs and humidifiers are quite expensive in South Korea. But at least you'll get a quality item and top of the line service. The guys from LG should be commended for their fast installation. These guys are the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, as long as you take very good care of your AC to make sure that it lasts for a long time, then every cent you spent on it will be worth it. To make sure that it lasts long, make sure to clean the filter about once a month, and have the Freon or refrigerant refilled once every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been three years since you've had that air conditioner. How was it? I'd like to notice how well it was installed outside your unit. Installation is a common problem for many homeowners. They don't know where they should install their ACs or they simply don't have enough space. In your case, no one would fret about it because it was placed in a good spot. It's the perfect place actually.

    ReplyDelete