Search This Blog

Monday, July 5, 2010

Travel Insurance

ESL TEACHERS: Before I came to Korea Canadian Connection mentioned that I might look at getting travel insurance. You're covered by the Korean national healthcare system once you get your ARC, though there's about a 30-day gap before you first get here. I purchased a separate policy for what is known as medical evacuation insurance from a company called Global Rescue.

Medical evacuation means that the company will transport you back to your home country if you have a medical emergency. Say for example you are in a bus accident and are paralyzed. In that situation, the company will send an air ambulance to come pick you up. I am not saying that you need this kind of insurance. I never would have purchased it myself but I personally know of a guy who was paralyzed in a motorcycle accident in Mexico and was very fortunate to have this type of coverage. The policy cost me $650 US for the entire year.

Here's the card that I have taped to my refrigerator in Korea. I also have a wallet-sized policy card that I carry with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment