Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

Finding a dentist

ESL Teachers: Tufts Dental Seoul. http://www.tuftsdental.net/

If you're here for a full year you should have the need to see a dentist at least once. There are dentists here in Yeonggwang but I know that the language barrier would make a visit difficult. I looked on Google and found an English-speaking dental practice in Seoul. It seems like a long way to go, but it's healthy to make Seoul trips on occasion and they have Saturday hours so you can tie it in to an Itaewon weekend.

The clinic is called Tufts Dental. Dr. Gina Sohn graduated from Tufts University Dental School in Massachusetts. She is licensed in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.

On the 'Appointment Request' page Dr. Sohn posts her email address. I emailed her to set up an appointment for August. She wrote me back the next day and confirmed the appointment. I asked for ballpark prices and was told a routine cleaning is 60,000 Won and a filling ranges from 100,000 - 150,000 Won.

I had a successful visit with Dr. Sohn in July. Everyone in her office speaks fluent English which I really appreciated. They asked for my national health insurance card which I didn't have. I don't think it changes what you pay very much, but bring it with you. Here's the cost summary of my visit:

- X-ray: 30,000 Won
- Routine cleaning: 60,000 Won
- Filling the cavity that I knew about: 100,000 Won
- Filling the other cavity they found: 100,000 Won

I challenge anyone to get that price for Saturday service in the States.

Here's a view of the building from the sidewalk.

1 comment:

  1. Bring your national health card, it will give large discounts for required work but not cosmetic. Second, Dont bother going to Seoul. Boston Dental , located 3 traffic lights from the Mudeung HomePlus, speaks english in Gwangju. Emergency extraction, 2 fillings, cleaning and xrays = 140,000 won. (See! National health card is good!)

    ReplyDelete